Self portrait photography is simply an exploration of self. Driven by the idea of becoming your own subject, self-portraits is an exciting challenge to improve your skills and creativity as an artist. So next time you are running dry of new ideas, take up the assignment of photographing yourself — the person behind the lens. Get a little crazy and be ready to capture self expressions and feelings. Check out a few more photography assignments to let your creative juices flowing here.
If you’re seriously interested in making creative images of yourself, it’s time to dive in action. Take up one or more of the following activities to push your limits for creating amazing images of yourself:
- Take up a 365 days challenge like Dustin Diaz or Anna Gay. Think differently and portray a unique aspect of your persona each day.
- Join one of the Flickr Group Pools — Self-Portraits! or 365 Days.
- Gain inspiration from cool, classic and creative self portrait photos shared by the photographers. Also check out The Art OF Self Portraiture which walks you through Anna Gay’s 365 days experience.
What more? Check out these fantastic self portrait photos and grab the camera to frame self-expressions by posing in-front of the mirror or by setting the timer on your camera. And watch out this space for crazy tips for taking up the self-portrait photo-shoot.
- Dustin Diaz (Awesome bokehs off lights in the background add to the mood of the photograph)
- Loca Luna / Anna Gay
- Christophe Verdier
- Meredith Farmer
- Gemma Bou
- Mitra Mirshahidi
- Brett Arthur
- Hannah Kate
- Zach Dischner (Silhouettes can almost always be used for some creative results)
- Lauren Peralta
- Daniela Vladimirova
- Carolina Tarre
- Meredith Farmer
- Rachel Sian
- Toni Blay (Good example of employing window light)
- Frau Boeb
What are you waiting for? It’s time to warm-up with your camera and the readily available subject — YOU!